Capa Ghost Town in Capa, South Dakota


Located in central South Dakota, the small town of Capa has been almost entirely abandoned. It was originally laid out in 1904, and after the railroad was extended into the area a small but bustling community built up here. At its peak, Capa had about 300 residents.

The name Capa is derived from a Lakota word meaning “beaver.” The small town was bustling for several decades. Homes and churches and businesses were built, and water from an artesian well was pumped into a public bathhouse. But the Great Depression hit Capa hard, and over time the population dwindled. The town’s post office was shut down in 1976.

At last count, there was only a single resident left in Capa.





Source link

About The Author

Scroll to Top